Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cornell Tutorial

This tutorial has been saved into my delicious tags and will probably be referred to with frequency. I thought it was very well organized and written in a way that allowed for easy understanding of the digitization process. I have trouble with the technical elements of digitization (and technology in general), so it's helpful to have this resource online with visual aids. For example, the chart that laid out the various file types was helpful for me. 

I feel like I need the most "work" on conversion and benchmarking. I haven't worked with many different types of formats or materials, so I need more practice/understanding with how each one has its own set of unique concerns. I'm also sketchy about preservation, but I'm wondering how much of that we will have to actually do ourselves while working on digitization initiatives...

1 comment:

Maria said...

You strive -when possible- to create digital surrogates of the best possible quality. This is why you choose a tif file format, you use metadata standards, you store the images in a secure place, you will have information that will allow you to retrieve the images, etc. Creating sound digital images is a big part of digital preservation.